Call of Duty: WW II developer Sledgehammer games released information on their Road to Beta campaign.
“We’re thrilled to finally share the Call of Duty: WWII Private Multiplayer Beta with you beginning August 25th on PS4. While this Beta is only a small part of the feature-rich Multiplayer experience coming in November, it is a critical test of our core gameplay, our game systems, as well as a stress test of our online infrastructure at scale.”
Two notable announcements for the new COD are “Divisions” and “War Mode” (so everything else takes place outside of the war?).
Sledgehammre explains Divisions and its role within the beta
“Divisions replaces the Pick 10 Create-a-Class system, and delivers the fantasy of enlisting in one of five iconic fighting groups in the world’s most brutal conflict. This test of the Private Multiplayer Beta will feature an introduction to a portion of the player’s soldier progression and the underlying foundation of Divisions, and we can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it. The final design of this new feature will continue to be fine-tuned as development continues from now through launch.”
Operation Breakout is the first taste of War Mode, and was co-developed with Raven Software. It’s an “immerivive Allied vs Axis fight across the war-torn village of St. Lo, France.”
The Private Multiplayer Beta will include the following
- Maps – At least three Multiplayer maps, including: Pointe Du Hoc, Ardennes, and Gibraltar.
- War – Operation Breakout
- Modes – Fan-favorite modes, including Team Deathmatch, Domination, and Hardpoint.
- Divisions – Enlist in the Infantry, Expeditionary, Airborne, Armored, or Mountain Division. You are not limited to any one Division, and we encourage you to try them all!
- Progression – Players will begin at Soldier Rank 1 and rank up through a limited progression to unlock weapons, scorestreaks, equipment, and Basic Training Skills.
Here’s what WON’T be in the beta
- Headquarters – We’re testing the match-making of this all-new social experience, but access to this space will not be active during the Multiplayer Beta.
- Supply Drops, and Loot – These customization features that add depth and personality to your soldier will not be included in the Multiplayer Beta.
- Esports – Ranked Play, Game Battles, and our suite of competitive features will be accessible when we release in November.
- Additional content not in the Private Multiplayer Beta includes: full progression, remaining maps and modes, additional War Mode maps, and the full armory of weapons, scorestreaks, Basic Training, and equipment.
Sledgehammer will reveal more at their COD: WWII livestream via Cologne, Germany, at GamesCom 2017 on August 22nd, 10AM PT.
Are you happy COD is going back to its roots or would you have preferred to boldly progress through the space time continum?