Since reports of a new Nintendo Switch model and then confirmation of the Nintendo Switch Lite, things have been fairly slow for the hybrid console. There were high hopes that the Nintendo Direct for September would throw us some surprises.
Gamescom gave Switch owners reassurance that there’d be plenty of new Nindie titles on their way and there was an exciting lineup of games coming up such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Luckily, Nintendo didn’t disappoint. There was a tonne of surprises at September’s Nintendo Direct, hosted by Shinya Takahashi, covering many areas for fans of various genres. Nothing stood too far out however, there are new games coming to the switch as well as new info on upcoming titles.
New upcoming games include Overwatch: Legendary Edition and games made available now like Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition and a Nintendo release of Deadly Premonition titled Deadly Premonition Origins. There’s also a tonne of Super NES titles available.
Now, let’s get to the juicy bits.
- Two new Pokémon were revealed for Pokémon Sword / Pokémon Shield. They include Polteageist – a ghost type Pokémon – and Cramorant – a flying and water-type Pokémon. Trainers outfits can be customised in-game. Players can camp in the wild at Pokémon Camp and hang out with friends in the new Wild Area at other players’ camps. Cook up Curry on Rice during your stay and add up to 100 recipes to your Curry Dex. The two games are available November 15
- Overwatch is scheduled for October 15th and features new ways to play that aren’t available on other platforms – Nintendo Switch Online membership is required for online play
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 features a different theme for every floor of the hotel and there is a new game mode introduced called ScreamPack party mode that 2-8 players can play on the one console. Available October 31st
- Super Kirby Clash is free and available now. It’s a multiplayer action game that requires you to overcome challenging boss fights. You can choose your gear and weapons and make sure you know your role in the team to take down tough enemies. You can play online or locally
- A remastered version of Trials of Mana will be coming to the Switch on April 24, 2020. If features fully voiced characters and upgraded graphics. Note: The original version is playable now via the Collection of Mana release
- Return of the Orba Dinn, an indie that received high rated reviews and has a unique art style is coming next fall, 2019
- Little Town Hero is now available for pre-purchase. It’s made by Game Freak and features music by Undertale creator Toby Fox
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is getting Terry Bogard from the classic fighter Fatal Fury in November as part of the Fighter Pass. Banjo & Kazooie join today as part of the third Challenger Pack DLC. One fighter remains to be revealed. You can purchase all challenger packs now for $24.99 and additional DLC fighters are in the work
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening is almost upon us! The Direct showed how you can create custom Chamber Dungeons and save them to compatible amiibo figures from the Legend of Zelda or Super Smash Bros. series to share with your friends. The game is out on September 20 and a new Link amiibo figure will be available on release day
- Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age releases on September 27th and a free DLC will be available that day that includes consumable items and equipment including clothing to change a character’s appearance
- A Nintendo Switch version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is on the way! The Wii U hit features a new song and new story elements, It will be available on January 17th
- One of the biggest announcements was the popular survival game Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2020. And to make it even better the first game in the series is available now for on the go play
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition is available now! Enough said
- Tetris 99 2.0 plus DLC update. Invictus mode is introduced to only those who’ve achieved TETRIS MAXIMUS status. There are also daily missions to achieve new accomplishments and show off new custom themes and icons. More content is coming for those who purchased the Big Block DLC: 2P Share Battle mode and new local multiplayer. The update and new paid DLC is available now and a physical version releases tomorrow
Super Nintendo Entertainment System Switch Online
Say that really fast! Nintendo announced at the Nintendo Direct that it’s adding Super NES games to the Switch and is free for anyone with a Nintendo Switch Online membership. To add to the nostalgia, they can be played with a new wireless Super Nintendo Entertainment System Controller only available to those with a membership. Four controllers can be purchased for each account and it will retail for $29.99 USD. The games also include new features like online play, suspend points and easy-to-use Rewind feature. The games include favourites such as:
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Stunt Race FX (Available for the first time since its original Super NES release!)
Kirby’s Dream Land 3
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
Kirby’s Dream Course
Breath of Fire
Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
SUPER E.D.F. EARTH DEFENSE FORCE
Super Ghouls’n Ghosts
Super Puyo Puyo 2 (Available for the first time in the U.S.!)
Super Soccer (Available for the first time since its original Super NES release!)
Super Tennis (Available for the first time since its original Super NES release!)
Other Highlights from Nintendo Direct
- Free demo version of DAEMON X MACHINA available now
- Rogue Company, a new IP by Hi-Rez Studios. 5v5 online shooter with choice of various mercenaries
- Doom 64 available on Nintendo Switch on November 22
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast available on Nintendo Switch on September 24
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Complete Edition releases on Nintendo Switch on October 15
- Assassin’s Creed: The Rebel Collection is available on Nintendo Switch on December 6th. This includes Black Flag and Rogue as well as single-player DLC and new features like touch control and motion aiming
- Free-to-play action RPG Dauntless launches this year
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 features a single-player mode, new minigames and 10 retro-style vents. It launches on November 5th
- Three new amiibo figures for the Super Smash Bros. series including Incineroar, Chrom and Simon Belmont available on November 15th
- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered releases on Nintendo Switch on September 20th
- Pre-purchases are now open for Devil May Cry 2. The game is available on September 20th
- Pre-purchases are now open for GRID Autosport. It comes to the Nintendo Switch on September 19th
- Play Vampyr on the go. The game launches on the Nintendo Switch on October 29th
- Survival horror RPG Call of Cthulhu arrives on Nintendo Switch on October 8th
- Bring out your inner farmer with Farming Simulator 20 – available this winter
And don’t forget! The long-awaited Animal Crossing: New Horizons is out on March 20, 2020. You can read everything you need to know about the game here.
So, let us know your thoughts on the Nintendo Direct. Were you happy with the announcements? We’ll keep you updated on further announcements and Nintendo news. You can watch the full presentation below.