With everyone so focused on the PS4 Neo’s reveal and new name (PS4 PRO (thanks Apple)), the new PS4 Camera received little attention. Upon first glance, my heart sunk. I had bought my PS4 Camera the day after they announced that PSVR would require one. Would I need to upgrade already?
Here’s the old one
And here’s the new
The new model is 159mm long (26mm shorter), rounded, and comes with an adjustable stand.
The great news for owners of the older camera is that the guts and PSVR functionality are the same.
Playstation Underground posted these hand bullet points of the features shared between the two cameras.
- Video frame rate 1280×800 pixels when 60fps
- 640×400 pixels at the time 120fps
- 320×192 pixels at the time 240fps
- Video format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Lens Dual lens, F value /F2.0 fixed focus
- Shooting distance 30cm
- Shooting range 85 °
- Microphone 4-channel array-type microphone
- Connecting terminal PS4 dedicated terminal (AUX terminal)
- Cable length About 2m
The new camera looks great and the adjustable stand is a big improvement. My camera works just fine but it doesn’t take much for it to slide off the back of my TV. I would assume that adjustability could also come in handy when tracking a VR headset.
You can purchase the new camera September 15 for $59 USD.