That’s a harsh headline, but let’s be real. So far almost all of the Nintendo Switch OS updates have provided nothing more than “general system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.” Update 3.0.0 adds several welcome features but still not as many as some were hoping.
Read on for what you can do with this update, as well as the full patch notes.
One of the major changes coming to the Switch is going to help you find your friends more easily. You can now add friends from your 3DS and Wii U friend lists under your user profile’s Friend Suggestions page. You’ll also receive notifications when friends come online, but you can turn this off in System Settings if you want.
A kind of funny — but potentially life-saving — addition is the Find Controllers feature, which will locate lost controllers for you. As long as you’ve paired the controller before, you can use this new feature to make any controller in range vibrate to help you find it.
Though this update hasn’t added cloud saving or video streaming apps, the improvements are still helpful. You can go to the News app on your Switch for a full run down of the new OS version, or you can read the list of patch notes below.
Nintendo Switch Version 3.0.0
- Register a channel to receive News for specific games
- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
- Receive notifications when your Friends go online
- Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
- Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
- Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
- Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
- Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
- Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
- Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable (disables NFC touchpoint)
- Update connected controllers
- Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data if there is insufficient space when downloading other software
- Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode