Golf Story on the Nintendo Switch is a cutesy RPG golf game. An Earthbound meets Hot Shots Golf if you will. It launched today (sept. 28) and is holding a fantastic Nintendo easter egg. Read on below if you don’t mind being spoiled.
The easter egg is actually a playable version of the original NES Golf. Yes the same one that’s rumored to be locked deep inside the Switch’s OS, but unplayable to anyone without the secret Nintendo insider knowledge. Now Golf can be accessed free to anyone who spends the $15 CAD on Golf Story. Is this the reason Nintendo hasn’t rolled out the Virtual Console? Because they think it’s more fun to hunt down the games within another game? Very meta.
Here’s a video detailing how to access Golf within Golf Story.
An NPC talks of the mysterious game ‘GALF’, offering an instruction manual and the chance to ‘GALF’ on a big screen in his abode. You can also press a button to play full screen. It doesn’t come with the full game but there are a few courses to mess around with.
If you’re not familiar with Golf Story, here’s the corporate line from their developer.
- Tee up anywhere! You’ll be surprised by how many problems can be solved by hitting a golf ball at them.
- Explore 8 unique environments, each with their own courses, towns, people and secrets.
- Play through a dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters.
- Upgrade your golfer by completing challenges, solving puzzles and buying new equipment.
- Round out your skill set with long driver tournaments, disc golf, mini golf and wee links. Then go beyond golf with extra challenges like races, mowing, drone flights and geocaching.
Have to admit I’m quite jealous the Switch gets this unique title. I’ve been holding off until Mario Odyssey but this is a killer app coaxing me to pull the trigger earlier.