Seagate and PlayStation have teamed up to launch an officially licensed external hard drive for your PlayStation 4. The Seagate Game Drive for PS4 is launching next week for $89.99 and will add a whopping 2TB of storage to your PS4 or PS4 Pro.
If you’ve been going through the ritual of finding games to delete every time you buy a new game, then this is something you should look into. Most AAA games these days take up at least 40GB of space, so if you’ve been gaming on PS4 for years, then you’re very likely going to need some extra storage.
The nice thing about Seagate’s Game Drive is that it’s made for PS4. Installation and formatting requires no more than plugging the drive into your PS4 via USB, and letting the console do the work. You can also take your hard drive on the go to play your games on your friends’ PS4s — just sign into your PSN account, and you’re good to go.
Here’s the features rundown from Seagate:
- Instantly adds 2TB for approximately 50 more games
- Full-speed gaming, just like playing from the PS4 system’s internal drive
- Optimized to work with every model of PS4 (requires system software version 4.50 or greater)
- Easy to bring to a friend’s place to play your games on another PS4 system (do note, once content is stored on the drive, the content can only be accessed by the account that transferred the content)
- Truly plug-and-play; doesn’t require additional cables
- Doesn’t need to plug into the wall — USB powered
With games like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up over 100GB each, hard drive space has never been in higher demand. If you’ve found yourself uninstalling games regularly to make more room, give the Game Drive a spin.