Developer CCP has announced that a new expansion is coming to Eve: Valkyrie. For those who don’t know, this is the spinoff game from Eve Online where players are put in control of a fighter ship and have the aim of destroying incoming enemies. At launch this game was a VR exclusive however, the developers are now making VR headsets optional.
The expansion to the game is called “Warzone” and allows gamers to play without VR using a standard screen. Players will even be able to compete against each other regardless of whether or not they’re using VR. At this point it’s too early to tell which platform will have an advantage on the battlefield. This should be revealed relatively quickly after the update.
In addition to the VR barrier removal, the update will be coming with a variety of other changes:
- All ships will be unlocked early in the game and their roles will be clearer
- New weapons and abilities are coming including “Ultra” abilities
- A new capture the flag style mode called “Extraction” will be added
- Two new maps
- The rewards system is receiving a dramatic overhaul (Gold is being removed and silver will be less common)
- XP will now act as the sole currency for obtaining mods for specific ships
- Salvage will be the resource used for Ultra abilities (However, we don’t know how this works just yet)
- The Spoils of War will now include a Loot Box type item called “Reward Capsules”
Warzone is being released as a free expansion for all Eve: Valkyrie owners on PC and PS4. The update will be arriving on September 26th later this year. The developer will also be selling the game at a discounted price close to the update for those who haven’t picked up the game yet or couldn’t due to the lack of a VR headset.