Version 1.2 of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is available now, and it fixes a nice handful of issues for Nintendo Switch owners. Nintendo is giving players behind in the race a better chance to catch up and taking away some annoying bugs.
One of the biggest upgrades: “Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.” That means more Bullet Bills and Gold Mushroom, and less Green Shells and Bananas. Maybe even more Crazy Eights?
Another item-related change will limit the number of active Piranha Plants to two at a time. If you’ve ever been snapped by a Piranha Plant multiple times in a row, you’ll be thankful for this one.
One of the most annoying bugs in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems to have been patched, as the item wheel will no longer spin continuously during online matches. Communication errors will also be less frequent when playing online.
Check out the full list of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s 1.2 patch notes below.
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.
Are you thankful for any particular change on this list? Let us know in the comments.